Sunday, December 9, 2012

Reading 2


Boswell Books held a reading on November 20, 2012 for Lilly Goren, coeditor of Women and the White House: Gender, Popular Culture, and Presidential Politics. Goren’s reading was a very thought provoking take on modern American politics. The reading that she focused on was her interpretation of how Americans were “primed to some degree, by presentations by African-American men and women in Hollywood films and television.” She claimed that Americans adjusted to the idea of an African-American as our current president by seeing Morgan Freeman, as well as others, in films first. Whatever her political theories, what I enjoyed most was her elegant reading style. Her tempo was simple and smooth which made paying attention to her easy.

            I thought her claims to be highly interesting but ultimately not enough for me to read any of her work in the future. But her voice had the ability to be smooth and soft while reciting her book. It must be said that the book seemed very accessible and didn’t veer to far into verbose academic writing. As for seeing a person live versus reading their work is understandably a different experience. It appears that most authors seem so very ordinary like a next-door neighbor. Well, at least Goren does. Also, I find it difficult to sit still for too long and I become shifty and then I lose focus. So after half and hour I was ready to leave. But, the most important aspect that I took from both readings is the fact that I need/want to be a part of this literary community. I’m excited for future readings. What ideas are waiting to be shared with me? How will that open me up as a reader and a writer?

No comments:

Post a Comment